The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Uganda is a national humanitarian and development organisation of the Seventh-day Adventist Church—tasked to serve humanity so all may live as God intended.
ADRA Uganda is looking for a Chief Accountant:
Job Title: Chief Accountant
Department: Finance and Administration Department
Reporting Line: Director of Finance and Administration
Job Purpose: Supervise the operation of the accounts department and ensure the integrity of the organization’s accounting system for the delivery of accurate and timely management and accounting information for internal and external stakeholders. Prudent management of Funds, Projects, and Program funds, availing timely financial and management accounts that are compliant to the relevant funds, projects and program agreements and generally accepted accounting principles, and ensuring relevancy of the accounts to management decision making.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor the use, usability and continued relevance of the financial information system of the organization and orient, train and monitor users of the system.
- Oversee “end of period” closing procedures including stock taking, cash counting depreciation calculation foreign currency revaluation etc.
- Develop an Annual Administration Budget and work on budget revisions whenever due.
- Offer financial and management accounting services to funds, projects and programs that may be allocated from time to time.
- Participate in the budgeting processes and revisions of budgets for the Funds, projects and programs under your portfolio.
- Provide monthly management accounts for funds, projects/ programs and submitted to the Director of Finance before the 9th day of the month following the month to which the accounts relate.
- Prepare budget control sheets, where appropriate, for the assigned Funds, Projects and Programs.
- Ensure that field financial reports are organized, complete, and accurate and handed in on time to enable timely processing.
- Participate in Project joint monitoring with Programs Office.
- Participate in preparation for the audit of final accounts of Projects and Funds under your responsibility.
- Monitor compliance with the organization’s financial policies and adherence to a generally acceptable internal control system.
- Ensure that staff accountabilities are done within the specified time frame and that penalties are appropriately administered in cases of non-compliance.
- In collaboration with relevant accountants, raise documentation for any charge or credit to personal and institutional accounts and ensure that they reach the relevant persons and institutions.
- Ensure that service and other charges to different projects are processed and passed on for payment within the specified timeframe.
- Follow up and report on adherence to the organization’s Archiving policy.
- Perform any other duties incidental to this office and/or as shall be assigned by the Director of Finance.
Required Experience and Qualification
- A Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting or Management and professional courses like ACCA, CPA, & CMIA. A Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive financial management experience. NGO experience preferred, not required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, organizational skills, with a problem-solving attitude who works both independently and as a collaborative team player.
- Experience working well under pressure with the flexibility to adapt to changing work requirements is essential.
- Candidate must be skilled strategic thinkers, and performance management driven.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in managing bank accounts, cash flow and treasury.
- Have very good analytic and problem-solving skills
- Good Excel knowledge and the ability to use Excel to its fullest in developing models’ knowledge of Sun plus system will be an added advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
All qualified and interested candidates who are aged 60 years and below, should submit their applications online not later than 19th April 2019.
Only qualified candidates will be notified for interviews.